We started out the next day bright and early at the Knysna Elephant Park about an hour and a half east of Wilderness. There is an only an estimated 3 wild African elephants remaining in South Africa (in the Knysna forest) but all the elephants we saw were domestic and are nutured by the loving staff. There used to be hundreds but they have been illegally hunted for their hides and ivory for the past hundred years or so. I had the absolute privilege of riding Shaka around the park as well as seeing many other elephants. I couldn't help but picture Disney's Jungle Book while watching them run around. They all seemed to swing their trunks, ears, and tails to the same beat. I learned a lot about elephants, most of which I already forget. I do remember that African elephants have much bigger ears than Asian elephants to help keep them cool. Who knew?
We jumped back on the road and stopped to go Zip Lining. We zig-zagged over a canyon with lots of beautiful scenery and many waterfalls. The view was excellent, as was the ride. Everything seemed very safe, but things here are a lot more relaxed than in the states. We joked that back at home we would have to watch a 20 minute safety video beforehand. Unfortunately we couldn't bring our cameras...
Next stop was the highlight of the trip. The world's HIGHEST bungy jump! Of course, I had to check it out. 7 of us decided to "take the plunge." They pumped you up with some fun dance tunes, so everyone was really excited. And it was was simply breathtaking, just incredible. Really words cannot describe.
The bridge we jumped off, such a scenic viewThe day was exhausting but we all wanted to celebrate such a great jump, so we headed back to the hostel for some drinks. It was also one of the girls 21st birthday so we had to celebrate. We met some local South Africans from Pretoria, and learned some good advice on things to do and see around Cape Town while we're here. They also introduced us to a new shot, a Springbok, which is the national South African animal, kinda like an antelope. The shot is actually named for the national rugby team and is composed of amarula and creme de menthe so it's gold and green like the team colors. Plus delicious!
Today, we started off at an ostrich farm. Actually kind of sad how they breed ostriches for their meat, feathers, and hides. However, riding them was hilarious. Much more difficult than I expected.
The last stop on our trip was a nature reserve, much like a zoo. We got to see lions, white tigers, cheetahs, crocodiles, birds, lemurs (my personal favorite). Some of the girls stayed and paid extra to get their pictures taken with the animals but I decided not too. We got lunch their and I tried both ostrich and crocodile. Ostrich tastes like a lean steak, but I thought mine was overcooked and kinda gamey. Crocodile is chewy but tastes like chicken.
All in all, the weekend was purely amazing! I had such a great time bonding with the other volunteers, meeting all the animals, being adventurous, hanging out with locals and other international travellers. I can't believe we fit so many different things in, along with the 6 hour drive there and back. But I am simply exhausted and need to rest up for another great week at Silvertown.
Jackie
P.S. I did a tiny bit of editing on the photos this time, and am fooling around with a bunch of settings to try to get some good shots. There are a few other photographers on the trip and we're going to take pictures tomorrow (at another awesome spot around Cape Town - I swear to you everything is scenic here). I am loving my new camera!
Hi there how are you? I was looking through your blog and found it interesting and wanted to leave you a comment.
ReplyDeleteI have an invitation for you to come and visit my art blog here in San Diego, and comment if you will.
I think that you may enjoy the various labels and music videos I design for my art blog, hope to see you here soon and take care :)